Glenview was settled in phases as several independent subdivisions were created in this area along South Parkway East. Development began in the central section of the district near Glenview Park, roughly between Rayner and Oaklawn Streets. This area contains a concentration of bungalows, particularly on Rayner Street. The first subdivision filed for the Glenview area was in 1908, when E.O. Bailey established a thirty-six-lot subdivision in his name on the west side of Glenview Park. Two years later the McLaughlin Land Company re-subdivided this area as the Magnolia Grove Subdivision; therefore the first houses were completed circa 1910. Throughout the 1910s, 1920s and 1930s, the Glenview neighborhood was home to eleven separate subdivisions that established the character of the area as it is seen today.
Businesses developed in the east end of the Glenview neighborhood. The first commercial structure was Mr. Bower's Store, built circa 1920. By 1930 the commercial structures in Glenview included Clarence Saunder's Store (a forebearer of Piggly Wiggly stores and the modem day grocery store) , Howard Cleaners, Glenview Pharmacy and Wright's Pharmacy.
|Glenview Handout||557.58 KB|
Designed by Linx Consulting.